Thousands join ‘Congressional Stakeouts to Save Health Care’ nationwide
This week, MoveOn.org members and other constituents staged 12-hour “Stakeouts to Save our Healthcare” outside the offices of 32 GOP Senators and Representatives.
“We are seeing unprecedented public opposition to the GOP’s ‘TrumpCare’ plan. It is an unmitigated disaster that would take health care away from millions of people, cost thousands more for middle-class and low-income Americans, all while giving a major tax break to health care CEO’s and the wealthiest Americans. Every estimate and analysis of the legislation shows it will cost more and cover fewer people. Across the country, we are seeing people speak out against this potential health care disaster—and it’s having an impact.” –MoveOn.org Washington Director Ben Wikler
Here’s a quick look at some of the Congressional stakeout events:
THE LOS ANGELES TIMES: Vulnerable California Republicans find themselves at center of health care bill persuasion efforts
Seven California Republicans are among the 23 Republicans nationwide who represent House districts that chose Hillary Clinton for president. Now they find themselves at the center of the debate over the proposed House GOP health care bill.
And MoveOn.org is holding day-long healthcare “stakeouts” outside 23 House offices and nine Senate offices Thursday and Friday. They’ll feature constituents chanting and telling healthcare stories. The seven California Republican-led districts that went for Clinton are all on Moveon.org’s list.
THE CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER: ‘MoveOn.org and others to demonstrate outside Sen. Rob Portman’s Cleveland office over health care’
MoveOn.org Organizing Director Victoria Kaplan told The Cleveland Plain Dealer: “By holding vigil outside the offices of key Republicans who hold the decisive votes on ‘TrumpCare,’ MoveOn members will ensure that anyone coming in or out of the office – staff, visitors, and the members of Congress themselves – will face their constituents and hear our health care stories, our songs, our hopes, our anger, and our cheer,.
THV11 News (LITTLE ROCK): Groups stake out in front of Sen. Cotton’s office to oppose new health care plan
Local MoveOn member Margaret Cameron told TH11 that: “This takes time, months years. I mean come on give us a break. Anyway they just started Obamacare, now we know what we can fix, go to that. Don’t just wipe out all the health care, it’s just it’s absurd.”
KTUU News (ANCHORAGE): MoveOn members urge Sen. Murkowski to reject the Republican health care plan
Activist Joni Bruner told KTUU News, “We’re trying to bring attention to Murkowski’s office. She’s one of the senators that can make a difference, and we’re hoping she will do the right thing and stand with the people that voted her in.”
Other notable actions include:
- In Nevada, MoveOn members and local community leaders held stakeouts outside of Senator Dean Heller’s Las Vegas and Reno district offices. [The Las Vegas Sun, FOX5 News, and KOH Local News]
- In Colorado, MoveOn members and local community leaders held stakeouts outside of Senator Cory Gardner’s Denver district office. [KMGH News]
- In Maine, MoveOn members and local community leaders held stakeouts outside of Senator Susan Collins’ Portland district office. [WAGM News and WLBZ News]
- In Arizona, MoveOn members and local community leaders held stakeouts outside of Senator Jeff Flake’s Phoenix district office. [KNXV News]
- In Louisiana, MoveOn members and local community leaders held stakeouts outside of Senator Bill Cassidy’s Metairie district office. [BayouBuzz]