Social Media and Community Engagement Intern
Temporary, Part-Time • Starts ASAP, Ends Nov 18 • $25/hour • Work Anywhere in the Continental U.S.
Do you have what it takes to stop Donald Trump? Do you believe in the power of games? Trump is polling neck-in-neck with Hillary Clinton, and MoveOn is building the biggest distributed canvassing effort in the U.S. to stop him.
MoveOn is partnering with renowned game designer Jane McGonigal to create a special election get-out-the-vote game to be released later this fall, and we’re looking for a Social Media and Community Engagement Intern to help build a community of players so we can help stop Donald Trump, elect Hillary Clinton, and take back the Senate.
Personal, one-on-one conversations with neighbors and friends have long been the gold standard for motivating people to go vote. We’re applying this same winning concept to developing a brand new game to encourage MoveOn’s millions of members to canvass their own social networks and make sure voters in battleground states reject Trump and his platform of hate—and pull the lever for Clinton.
If even a small fraction of MoveOn members play this game, it could add up to thousands of additional votes for Clinton, which could make the difference in the election.
The Social Media and Community Engagement Intern will work as part of a tight-knit team of game developers, designers, and campaigners to help foster a community of players who could swing this election, and creating content to promote the game and encouraging new players to join. Nimbleness is a must—the election is only weeks away, and the game will continue to evolve based on player feedback.
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against corporate and 1% influence in our nation’s politics, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.
- Working with a campaigner, draft regular blog and Facebook posts to announce game developments and highlight player accomplishments.
- Working with designers, transform images into specified sizes and formats and upload those to the content platform.
- Create or identify other shareable images and content for Facebook and Twitter as needed.
- Help gather and edit content to convince swing voters to stand united against hate and vote for Hillary Clinton this November.
- Manage a Facebook page for players; respond to questions, motivate players, and keep a pulse on players’ overall experience.
- Respond to players’ questions and concerns via email.
- Flag timely or important issues raised by players for the rest of the team.
- Propose other ideas to engage players and build community.
REQUIRED QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Knowledge of file formats and sizing—can reformat images from multiple sources and convert it to usable formats
- Proficiency in basic graphic design (knowledge of programs such as Photoshop or Illustrator)
- Social media savvy; experience using Facebook groups or pages
- Experience in or desire to learn WordPress
- Nimbleness and flexibility; able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment
- Good-humored and customer service-oriented attitude
Position is remote. As part of our virtual office, you may be based anywhere in the continental U.S.
CLASSIFICATION, SALARY, AND BENEFITS
The position is part-time (10-20 hours/week), through November 18, at $25/hour.
Click here to submit your application, résumé, and cover letter. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a goal of starting ASAP. Apply ASAP for consideration.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.