MoveOn Members Celebrate Ilhan Omar’s Historic Win In Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District
Ilhan Poised To Be One of the First Muslim Women in Congress—MoveOn Members Endorsed, Supported Her Campaign
Statement from Rahna Epting, Election Program Managing Director, for MoveOn Political Action on Ilhan Omar’s win in Minnesota’s 5th congressional district Democratic primary.
“Ilhan Omar’s victory represents the future of the progressive movement. By laying out a bold, progressive agenda that includes Medicare for all, public education access, criminal justice reform, housing reform and environmental justice, Omar is mobilizing an energetic, multiracial coalition that serves as a model for the rest of the country. Her victory will help unify and lift up white, Black, and brown working families across her district.
“This historic win should remind Democrats across the country that voters are looking for authentic candidates who will stand up to Trump, resist his attacks on our communities, and protect our freedoms.
“Omar’s victory – the second week in a row where a Muslim woman may be heading to Congress – proves that Muslims in the U.S. are building political power and that the attacks against them from Trump and his administration will not be tolerated. MoveOn members were proud to endorse Omar earlier this year and mobilize to support her. We congratulate Ilhan Omar on her historic victory, and plan to show up for her again this November.”
Earlier this year, more than 98 percent of MoveOn members in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District voted to endorse Ilhan Omar for Congress.
- There are more than 24,000 MoveOn members in MN-5. MoveOn and its members contributed over $23,000 to Omar’s campaign.
- MoveOn volunteers sent over 9,000 text messages into MN-05.
- MoveOn produced a video that has received more than 300 K views on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- MoveOn spent more than $18, 000 on digital GOTV ads targeted to progressive voters in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District.
- MoveOn activated its more than 24,000 members in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District to volunteer and vote for Omar.