VICTORY: Marjorie Taylor Greene removed from committees
This is huge: The House of Representatives has removed extremist Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene from her committee assignments!
MoveOn members have been signing petitions, calling their members of Congress, rallying, and more to demand Rep. Greene be held accountable for her vile views of school shootings being fake and promoting violence against her colleagues.
But almost every single Republican voted against this move, proving once again that they are enablers of Rep. Greene, Donald Trump, and the Treason Caucus who participated in the attack on our democracy.
The Republican Treason Caucus doesn’t get to rewrite history. Just hours after the Capitol had been breached, vandalized, and ransacked by thousands of white supremacist rioters, 147 Republicans still voted against certifying the election.
But we’re not letting them get away with it. Here’s how MoveOn members have been fighting back against these Republicans:
- MoveOn members chipped in to fund digital ads targeting Josh Hawley (R-MO), Ted Cruz (R-TX), and Ron Johnson (R-WI) and taking over the websites of major newspapers in their states—The Kansas City Star, Houston Chronicle, and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, respectively—including quotes from two of the papers’ editorial boards calling for the senators’ resignations.
- More than 700,000 MoveOn members signed petitions calling for accountability for Republicans including Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, Lauren Boebert, Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Roger Marshall—including calls to expel them, investigate them, demand they resign, and strip them of committee assignments.
- MoveOn members joined Voto Latino to simultaneously deliver the petition calling for Ted Cruz to resign to his offices in Austin, Houston, Dallas, and Washington, D.C. Check out the livestream of the events here and the full-page ad we took out together in the Dallas Morning News to amplify the need for Sen. Cruz to resign.
- More than 400,000 MoveOn members signed a petition started by RuralOrganizing.org demanding that Republican leadership act to remove Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene from the House Education and Labor Committee. Yesterday, MoveOn drove a mobile billboard around House Minority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy’s district, calling him and the entire GOP out because their refusal to hold her accountable is support for her extremist and disqualifying views, and the event was covered on the local ABC, CBS, and NBC affiliates. Our Revolution Kern County partnered to hold a rally at the billboard and delivered the petitions to Rep. McCarthy.
- And finally, thousands of MoveOn members have called members of the GOP Treason Caucus, demanding that they resign for openly encouraging insurrection. Thousands more called Democratic members of Congress as well, asking that they move to expel anyone who voted against certifying the election.
Together, with millions of MoveOn members taking action across the country, we’ll hold these undemocratic Republicans accountable for their attempt to undermine and damage our democracy.
As the Senate gears up for an impeachment trial to hold the seditionist-in-chief accountable for inciting the riot, we won’t forget the 147 who actively supported him. The eight senators who voted to overturn the election results should be on trial next to him.
The Treason Caucus still has power—so we can’t let up yet. Senate Democrats must eliminate the filibuster to ensure a single Republican can’t hold up essential legislation like COVID relief or democracy reform. House Democrats must go further and expel Marjorie Taylor Greene from office because of her extreme views and support of the deadly insurrection and violence against elected leaders.
This work has ALL been fueled by the generosity of MoveOn members. Pitch in today so we can keep this work and more moving forward.
Thanks for all you do.