Ventures Fundraising and Data Director
Full time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the Continental US
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice. For 18 years, the MoveOn family of organizations has pioneered online tools to lower the barriers to individual and collective participation in our democracy, so real Americans have a voice in a political process where big money and corporate lobbyists wield too much influence. In the Trump era, we’re growing to meet unprecedented challenges, as we work to block Trump and GOP policy priorities, stand with front-line communities, defend key norms and institutions of our democracy, and (speaking solely for MoveOn PAC) prepare to retake power in future elections.
Our MoveOn family is made up of two different entities. MoveOn.org Civic Action, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, focuses on education and advocacy, driving powerful campaigns that engage a mass public and building the progressive movement. MoveOn.org Political Action, a federal PAC, is focused on demonstrating MoveOn members’ power at the ballot box and electing candidates who reflect MoveOn members’ values.
Ventures Fundraising and Data Director
MoveOn is seeking to hire an experienced project manager and data analyst to help deepen the expansion of its fundraising into new areas beyond the extremely successful online, small-dollar program that we pioneered and continue to develop as the heart of our financial support. In 2015 MoveOn started an effort called MoveOn Ventures, designed to invest in new fundraising programs for: major donors (over $5k per year); middle donors ($250 to $5k per year); foundations; and phone fundraising targeting monthly donors. The project is now expanding into online advertising and bequests, as well as into testing other potential areas such as direct mail and an incoming call center.
This role is a new position that will directly manage the phone and mail based fundraising programs; be responsible for donor stewardship and retention strategies for our monthly donors; and manage exploration of new fundraising areas. It will also lead data management, testing, reporting and analytics for those programs, working closely with our Analytics and Tech teams. The ideal candidate will have a background in monthly donor management; middle/major donor operations and management; membership organizations; data analysis; and supervising teams of staff. Experience with non-profit fundraising is preferred.
- Support major donor and middle donor development program, including: expanded stewardship; use of Salesforce to support donor contact relationship management; manage systematized thank you program
- Oversee stewardship of monthly donor file, including donor communication, retention, and prospect development, working closely with a key MoveOn contractor
- Synchronize multiple sources of data to identify and manage prospects for Ventures fundraising, and help analyze for potential areas of opportunity, while maintaining the highest standards of data security and confidentiality
- Lead data management and reporting for MoveOn Ventures programs, including tracking Ventures fundraising metrics for staff and management, as well as budget reporting for these programs
- Hands-on management of phone fundraising program; lead exploration of new projects such as a direct mail program and an incoming call center; and help create and lead other new fundraising strategies as needed.
- Guide multi-channel fundraising efforts (using overlapping ways to communicate with donors, for example via phone, online advertising, email and direct mail)
- Serve as a liaison and collaborator with MoveOn’s Analytics and Technology teams, including helping support analytics and testing on Ventures projects
- Supervise critical contractor relationships for the Ventures program to ensure accountability and meet deliverables. Contractors include a long-term data and analytics partner, as well as our phone and mail vendors.
- Background in the operations of non-profit fundraising
- Experience managing member and donor data in large organizations
- Has successfully managed complex and technical / digital organizational projects from start to finish
- Experience creating clear reports that model transparency and measure performance against metrics for fundraising programs
- Strong communication skills
- Experience managing high-performing contractors and staff
Skills, Characteristics, and Values:
- Technical skills
- Expert at Excel and Google sheets
- Skilled at SQL, or able/willing to become proficient quickly
- Expertise with Salesforce, or able/willing to become proficient quickly
- Can do basic data analysis to help guide decision on fundraising programs
- Project management
- Expert project manager
- Able to lead effectively across teams
- Strong capacity for building consensus, and for holding themselves and others accountable
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to execute quickly and independently at a high level
- Top-notch attention to detail with strong communication skills
- Able to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely in a fast-paced, quick-reaction work environment
- Able to work with a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and good cheer
- Able to lead effectively on equity and inclusivity
- Commitment to progressive values and to MoveOn’s mission
We seek candidates whose strong integrity, humility, and discretion will match our culture.
Location: Position can be based anywhere in the Continental US.
Deadline: Application deadline is Friday, May 12, 2017. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Classification: Regular and Exempt, Full-Time. Every position at MoveOn begins with a 6-month introductory period (including our Executive Directors) serve as a natural period of evaluation and reflection for both MoveOn and the employee to determine whether a successful employment relationship can be created.
Salary and benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave; 10 days accrued paid sick time; taxable home office subsidy for personal office space; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume, and a cover letter. In the cover letter, which should be concise, please share specific examples of how you have helped guide fundraising programs for large organizations.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws