Director of Platform Campaigns
Director of Platform Campaigns
Regular and Exempt, Full-time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Continental United States
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America—a community with a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. Our country is facing a unique threat from Trump and his bigoted, destructive politics, and from Republicans who control Congress. That’s why we’re hard at work helping build a powerful and successful movement to oppose and obstruct Trump’s and the GOP’s agenda in Washington, to defend and support communities on the front lines of Trump’s attacks, to defend our constitutional democracy, and prepare to retake power in the 2017, 2018, and 2020 elections.
One of the most powerful tools at our disposal in this work is our petitions platform. This online campaigning platform supports tens of thousands of petitions started by individual MoveOn members and partner organizations—with millions of signatures collected—each year. It provides members and partners with a set of tools and access to an engaged community that can help them win campaigns at the local, state, and national levels. This enables MoveOn members and partner organizations to campaign on more fronts and creates a powerful, nuanced listening tool that helps us identify and elevate powerful campaigns that deeply engage progressives.
The Director of Platform Campaigns will play a key leadership role in managing the campaigns that flow through MoveOn’s petitions platform. Working closely with a skilled and collaborative platform team, you’ll guide our work to focus on the issues that matter most to our members by identifying, optimizing, and amplifying game-changing member- and partner-led campaigns. You’ll use your sharp campaigner intuition combined with our state-of-the-art tools to identify potential campaign angles and turn them into impactful, winning campaigns.
Our terrific team is looking for a rapid-response-savvy campaigner who is detail-oriented, creative, collaborative, interested in supporting campaigns across the progressive movement, and energized by the power of the grassroots organizing. If you’re passionate about helping to manage a team working with thousands of people to run powerful, strategic, winning campaigns as part of the resistance, and run many of those campaigns yourself, this job is for you!
Responsibilities: Drive the campaigning direction of our team to find the most powerful and exciting member-led petitions and help transform them into impactful, winning campaigns.
- Manage priorities and goal-setting: Guide team priorities in tandem with the larger MoveOn campaign priorities to ensure that we are focusing on the most timely and critical issues of the moment.
- Run campaigns: Run rapid-response campaigning to elevate timely issues that align with MoveOn’s organizational goals. In crucial campaign moments, step up to provide support to other campaigning across MoveOn.
- Manage the platform: Develop tactics, tools, and processes to quickly identify and elevate the strongest or most newsworthy campaigns using email, social media, or other ways of communication. Bring in new, aligned members who will build the progressive movement.
- Build partnerships: Work closely with partner organizations to develop and maintain deep relationships.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-stakes, nationally visible environment
- Deep understanding of organizing principles and how to execute strategic, winning campaigns
- Commitment to listening to and empowering grassroots activists
- Attention to detail and an affinity for creating scalable solutions
- Willingness to fail fast, learn from failure, and adapt
- Data-driven thinker with strong campaign instincts and the ability to make decisions based on both
- Curiosity and an eagerness to learn about all issues big and small—from national tax legislation to local anti-discrimination laws
- Comfort in learning the suite of MoveOn technology tools—including, but not limited to, our petitions platform, email system, and database—and to keep learning as new tools come into existence or as you devise new tactics
- Experience managing and supervising a small, but highly productive team
MoveOn is an agile organization, ever-changing to meet the needs of our members and to help drive the progressive movement forward. As such, we are a team of leaders who
- like teamwork, but can work independently day to day;
- can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines;
- are low-ego and high-output;
- can change directions quickly and frequently (“build it, test it, iterate quickly”);
- like innovating with a hard-working team; have a desire to work in a virtual office; and
- have experience with or are excited to learn how to communicate well through video and conference calls, email, and Slack.
Title: Director of Platform Campaigns
Reports to: Platform Director
Location: May be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification: Regular and exempt, full-time. Every position at MoveOn begins with a six-month introductory period (including our Executive Directors) which is intended to serve as a natural period of evaluation and reflection for both MoveOn and the employee to determine whether a successful employment relationship can be created.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave, 10 days accrued paid sick time; and reimbursement of office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.