Director of Organizational Development and Human Resources
Full time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Continental US
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice. For 18 years, the MoveOn family of organizations have pioneered online tools to lower the barriers to individual and collective participation in our democracy, so real Americans have a voice in a political process where big money and corporate lobbyists wield too much influence. In the Trump era, we’re growing to meet unprecedented challenges, as we work to block Trump and GOP policy priorities, stand with front-line communities, defend key norms and institutions of our democracy, and (speaking solely for MoveOn PAC) prepare to retake power in future elections.
Our MoveOn family is made up of two different entities. MoveOn.org Civic Action, a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, focuses on education and advocacy, driving powerful campaigns that engage a mass public and building the progressive movement by encouraging and supporting the development of more grassroots leaders. MoveOn.org Political Action, a federal PAC, is focused on demonstrating MoveOn members’ power at the ballot box and electing candidates who reflect MoveOn members’ values.
Director of Organizational Development and Human Resources
MoveOn is seeking to hire a Director of Organizational Development and Human Resources to help lead the organization as it drives forward its urgent and important mission, and as MoveOn continues to expand the size of its high-performing team of leaders. Since 2014 MoveOn has grown from a staff of 25 full-time regular employees to 44, with plans to expand to more than 50 employees in 2017. In periods of high campaign activity we add to that significantly, including more than 150 additional temporary staff on the payroll during the 2016 election.
The Director of Organizational Development and Human Resources will lead human resources and support the Executive Directors in internal organizational development at MoveOn. They will be a key leader in promoting career development, accountability, communication, and transparency within the organization.
This is a new position that will help the organization ensure that MoveOn’s staff have the support, training and systems in place to achieve the organization’s strategic vision.
- Lead and execute human resources strategies that effectively communicate and support MoveOn’s mission, strategic vision and overall objectives.
- Help develop a team of agile employees who thrive in a rapidly changing and growing organization, and who can adapt to change with flexibility and efficient decision-making
- Drive MoveOn’s strategy for building and retaining a high-performing team of leaders, and help guide the organization through a new phase of staff growth
- Provide leadership and guidance on employee engagement by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, retention, training, leadership development, compensation, benefits, and performance management
- Management and staff training
- Lead training and skills-building for supervisors and for all staff; maintain best practices and high standards around accountability, staff support and effective communication.
- Talent acquisition
- Lead hiring processes to recruit high-potential and high-performing staff to join the MoveOn team; execute creative and innovative sourcing strategies and techniques to build a diverse pipeline of qualified candidates
- Orientation and onboarding
- Ensure that all new staff are effectively and efficiently brought into the organization with appropriate training, support and mentoring
- Develop, initiate and maintain effective programs for retention and promotion, including regular evaluation of overall compensation and benefits; and an ongoing program of staff communication so that employee needs are identified and addressed proactively
- Internal communications
- Be a visible leader within the organization, skilled at communicating MoveOn’s identity, purpose and values
- Performance management
- Oversee performance management system, including job descriptions, evaluations, staff objectives, and support for supervisors
- Other forms of Organizational Development
- Play a leadership role in creating a positive, productive and inclusive culture within MoveOn, prioritizing equity and the empowerment of staff
- Regularly review MoveOn’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters, and make recommendations for improvement
- Lead growth management as MoveOn continues to add staff and expand
- Significant experience leading employee engagement, human resources or organizational development in a complex organizational environment
- Demonstrated experience translating high-level organizational strategies into staff support, retention and accountability
- Extensive background in staff management
Skills, Characteristics, and Values:
- Human Resources expertise
- Deep knowledge of compliance and legal requirements for employers; SHRM certification or other relevant professional accreditation preferred
- Excellent judgment in a fast-moving, complex, political campaigns context
- Superb at understanding staff dynamics, needs, and performance management issues
- Superb relational and communications skills
- High emotional intelligence, skilled listener, astute at absorbing organizational needs and priorities from leadership
- Proficient in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications
- Leadership ability
- Able to communicate a vision for employee engagement at MoveOn, and effectively execute it; excels at internal organizing and change management
- Self-directed, motivated, and able to execute quickly and independently at a high level
- Able to be effective in an organization whose staff all work remotely in a fast-paced, quick-reaction work environment
- Top-notch project management skills and attention to detail
- Able to work with a high degree of collaboration, flexibility, and good cheer
- Deep experience working with diverse constituencies
- Able to lead effectively on equity and inclusivity. Commitment to expanding the diversity of MoveOn’s staff. Strong self-awareness
- Commitment to progressive values
We seek candidates whose strong integrity, humility, and discretion will match our culture.
Location: Position can be based anywhere in the Continental US. Will require some travel.
Deadline: Application deadline is Monday, March 27. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
Classification: Regular and Exempt, Full-Time. Every position at MoveOn begins with a 6-month introductory period (including our Executive Directors) which is intended to serve as a natural evaluation period. Upon successful completion of the introductory period, MoveOn employees become regular, full-time employees.
Salary and benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave, 10 days accrued paid sick time; taxable home office subsidy for personal office space; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
To Apply: CLICK HERE to submit your resume and cover letter. In the cover letter, which should be concise, please share specific examples of your experience leading Organizational Development and Human Resources in a complex organizational environment.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws