Director of Grassroots Training
Regular and Exempt, Full-Time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits
Work from Anywhere in the Continental US
Help build the resistance!
This has got to be a trainer’s dream job if there ever was one. MoveOn.org and its millions of members are at the center of the grassroots, people-powered movement to resist Trump, build the multiracial populist movement, and win power to build a progressive future. 60,000 people joined our first Ready to Resist Sunday night strategy and training call, and two days later, 15,000 people rallied at their member of Congress’ district offices, building the #ResistTrumpTuesdays organizing rhythm.
As in any good grassroots movement, our tiny staff team is following the lead of our members, new and old, who are pouring their hearts and souls into taking back our country.
So we are investing more deeply in building a world-class training program that will develop the leadership, organizing, and action skills of literally tens of thousands of people in 2017 alone, by harnessing innovative technology, the expertise of allied progressive leaders across the movement, principles of adult learning, and tried and true organizing.
This is an opportunity to build a scaled, nationwide grassroots organizing training program in concert with movement allies.
The MoveOn team works and lives in communities around the country, providing employees tremendous flexibility to live and work anywhere in the continental United States. MoveOn staff are embedded in the communities that make up America, and we pursue the healthy development of community and social connections outside of our work lives.
- Scope out and plan a grassroots training program from start to finish, including vision, goals, strategy, and timeline.
- Develop curriculum, training materials, quizzes, agendas, and slides for training modules ranging from Facilitation Skills to Action Logic to Anti-Oppression.
- Develop a community of peers who are leading trainers and practitioners at allied organizations and movements to feature their talents and to enhance collaboration across the movement and knowledge-sharing
- Identify technology platforms to broaden the reach of the training program as build a community of learning for participants
- Work with MoveOn’s Video Lab and other artists to produce video trainings
- Manage a regular schedule of virtual trainings and strategy/issue briefings.
- Measure the effectiveness of the trainings and briefings.
- Work with MoveOn’s National Field Organizers to tie the training program to leadership development and action, and develop the training capacities of fellow MoveOn staff and volunteers.
- Play a lead role in growing a diverse audience for trainings.
- Identify opportunities to take trainings on the road and deliver in-person trainings.
Required skills and experience:
- Substantial experience as a trainer, training director, or educator with social justice movements and activists of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience doing some of the things you’ll be training others to do, such as organizing events, volunteer recruitment, organizing with front-line communities, working with the media, de-escalation, legislative meetings, bird-dogging, petitioning, knocking doors. Not all of these experiences are necessary.
- Written and verbal communication skills that enhance the ability to reach a variety of audiences–volunteers, new activists, experienced activists, organizational leaders, colleagues
- Willingness and aptitude to learn, or experience with, training technology – webinars, blackboards, virtual classrooms, Slack, Dropbox
- Willingness and aptitude to learn, or experience with, basic visual design skills and ability to make products like professional and appealing using Powerpoint, Word, and Excel.
- Track record of being determined and thorough- see projects through from idea to implementation to launch
- Curious, and a fearless learner and problem solver.
- Ability to be effective in an organization whose team members all work remotely.
- Well-organized and nimble; able to spot opportunities, turn on a dime, prioritize
- Bilingual or multilingual a plus
Reports to: MoveOn’s Organizing Director and is part of the Field Team.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification: Regular and Exempt, Full-Time. Every position at MoveOn begins with a 6-month introductory period (including our Executive Directors) which is intended to serve as a natural period of evaluation and reflection for both MoveOn and the employee to determine whether a successful employment relationship can be created.
Salary, and Benefits: Competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave, 10 days accrued paid sick time; and reimbursement of office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume, and cover letter:
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.