Community Growth Specialist
Temporary (6 months) and Exempt, Full-time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Continental United States
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America—a community with a particularly important role to play in the Trump era. Our country is facing a unique threat from Trump and his bigoted, destructive politics, and from Republicans who control Congress. That’s why we’re hard at work helping build a powerful and successful movement to oppose and obstruct Trump’s and the GOP’s agenda in Washington, to defend and support communities on the front lines of Trump’s attacks, to defend our constitutional democracy, and prepare to retake power in the 2017, 2018, and 2020 elections.
One of the most powerful tools at our disposal in this work is our petitions platform. This online campaigning platform supports tens of thousands of petitions started by individual MoveOn members and partner organizations—with millions of signatures collected—each year. It provides members and partners with a set of tools and access to an engaged community that can help them win campaigns at the local, state, and national levels. This enables MoveOn members and partner organizations to campaign on more fronts and creates a powerful, nuanced listening tool that helps us identify and elevate powerful campaigns that deeply engage progressives.
The Community Growth Specialist is a short-term position in a high-stakes year to help us bring millions of people into our community by engaging with excellent, innovative campaigning via our platform. Working closely with a skilled and collaborative team, you’ll experiment with different online tools and tactics to grow our membership and engage more people around the country in our campaigning. You’ll work with members, partners, and colleagues to start and amplify exciting progressive campaigns on the local, state, and national level. And you’ll help tell the story of our impactful campaigning across the platform to drive even more growth and engagement.
Our terrific team is looking for a rapid-response-savvy, experiment-minded campaigner who is detail-oriented, creative, collaborative, interested in supporting campaigns across the progressive movement, and energized by the power of the grassroots organizing. If you’re passionate about bringing more people into the resistance to run powerful, strategic, winning campaigns, this job is for you!
Responsibilities: Find and amplify impactful rapid-response campaigns that excite and engage current and potential MoveOn members — with a particular focus on growing our community of millions of passionate Americans by surfacing and elevating breakout campaigns.
- Surface campaigns: Identify rapid-response campaigning that can elevate timely issues that align with MoveOn’s organizational goals. This includes drafting excellent petition copy, working with members and partners to edit existing petitions, testing different petitions, and analyzing results using MoveOn’s state-of-the-art campaigning tools.
- Support the excellent operation of the platform: Work with the platform team to help develop tactics, tools, and processes to quickly identify and elevate the strongest or most newsworthy campaigns using email, social media, or other ways of communication. Bring in new, aligned members who will build the progressive movement.
- Experiment to find the most impactful new growth tactics: Identify potential areas for innovation that will have the greatest impact on our topline growth goals and help to execute experiments to test their effectiveness.
- Initiate and develop campaigns: Support petition creators and partners in kickstarting their campaign with a powerful petition that drives people to sign and share, and support them in getting going with follow-up steps. In crucial campaign moments, step up to provide support to other campaigning across MoveOn.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, high-stakes, nationally-visible environment
- Deep understanding of organizing principles and how to execute strategic, winning campaigns
- Commitment to listening to and empowering grassroots activists
- Attention to detail and an affinity for creating scalable solutions
- Willingness to fail fast, learn from failure, and adapt
- Eagerness to experiment, try new things, and ask lots of questions
- Data-driven thinker with strong campaign instincts and the ability to make decisions based on both
- Curiosity and an eagerness to learn about all issues big and small—from national tax legislation to local anti-discrimination laws
- Comfort in learning the suite of MoveOn technology tools—including, but not limited to, our petitions platform, email system, and database—and to keep learning as new tools come into existence or as you devise new tactics
MoveOn is an agile organization, ever-changing to meet the needs of our members and to help drive the progressive movement forward. As such, we are a team of leaders who
- like teamwork, but can work independently day to day;
- can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines;
- are low-ego and high-output;
- can change directions quickly and frequently (“build it, test it, iterate quickly”);
- like innovating with a hard-working team; have a desire to work in a virtual office; and
- have experience with or are excited to learn how to communicate well through video and conference calls, email, and Slack.
Title: Community Growth Specialist
Reports to: Platform Director
Location: May be based anywhere in the continental United States.
Classification: Temporary and exempt, full-time. This is a 6-month position.
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; two weeks accrued paid vacation (for the 6-month period); 5 days accrued paid sick time (for the 6-month position); and reimbursement of office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.