Communication Intern (Social Media Focus)
Non-Exempt, Part-Time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • Work from Anywhere in the Continental United States
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.
With Donald Trump in the White House, 2017 is a year of fierce fights and big opportunities. At MoveOn you would be at the center of efforts to build and sustain a powerful resistance, mobilizing millions of people to take action in the fight for our democracy and our future.
You will help us curate content for use on social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Content may relate to breaking news, our core campaigns, or instances where we can elevate ally work. You will monitor the day-to-day functions of MoveOn’s social media platforms and help prepare analytics reports evaluating performance, and you will participate as an active member of our communications team.
As a MoveOn intern, you’ll never get anyone coffee. Your work will be substantive. We are a small and nimble team so everyone’s work is vital; the work that you do will be an important part of how we elevate MoveOn members’ voices, communicate around our core campaigns, and influence the national political narrative.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Monitor metrics like reach and engagement related to MoveOn’s social media platforms, and analyze which content performs best, and develop hypotheses for why;
- Follow breaking news coverage to find compelling content that we could elevate via MoveOn’s social media networks;
- Curate strong, viral, progressive content from other sources including allies’ pages, and services like CrowdTangle;
- Assist with compiling and tracking of social media hits and press clips mentioning MoveOn and featuring MoveOn’s spokespeople;
- Assist with social media campaigns and create content to distribute to social media allies;
- Be a member of MoveOn’s communications team, contributing to cross-team projects in a variety of ways;
- Occasionally facilitate and take notes at meetings;
- Have the opportunity to engage in MoveOn’s work in other exciting ways, including researching new social media platforms, producing social media campaign and other editorial content, and supporting key campaigns.
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience with and interest in social media;
- Experience with and interest in activism, advocacy, organizing, or politics.
- Have an eye for viral content that will resonate with MoveOn’s fans;
- Experience or interest in graphic creation;
- Creating share text for social media posts;
- Self-manager and self-starter;
- Keen attention to detail;
- Strong writing skills, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- Ability to work well within a fast-paced, high-performing team under pressure;
Reporting to: Social Media Coordinator
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the Continental United States
Duration: Hiring immediately; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. This is a three-month internship with the possibility of extension to six months if mutually agreeable to both parties.
Classification, Salary, and Reimbursements: Part-time (up to 20 hours per week), $25 per hour, and reimbursement of cell phone, internet, and office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume, cover letter, and a writing sample. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis through July 7th. Interviews are taking place on a rolling basis – so if you’re interested, apply now!
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.