Communication Intern (Press Focus)
Non-Exempt, Part-Time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • Work from Anywhere in the Continental United States
MoveOn.org is a community of millions of members working together to create progressive change in America. We take on campaigns to challenge entrenched power and push back against right-wing policies while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice.
In the context of the Trump Administration and a strong Resistance movement, we’re looking at both fierce fights and big opportunities ahead — and you could help MoveOn tell the story of our work.
In this role, you will help us compile and track press coverage related to MoveOn’s key campaigns – from fighting Donald Trump’s dangerous agenda, to pushing Democrats to embrace progressive policies, to supporting a record-breaking level of grassroots mobilization by MoveOn members nationwide. You will identify compelling content to share with our community and influential members of the media, and assist with our broader media and communications work, including research, drafting materials, and participating as an active member of our communications team.
As a MoveOn intern, you’ll never get anyone coffee. Your work will be substantive. We are a small and nimble team so everyone’s work is vital; the work that you do will be an important part of how we elevate MoveOn members’ voices, communicate around our core campaigns, and influence the national political narrative.
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Follow news coverage related to MoveOn’s campaigns;
- Assist with compiling and tracking of press and social media coverage of MoveOn’s work;
- Build and maintain media lists around key campaigns;
- Assist with press work and create content for distribution to journalists. Content is likely to include press releases, pitches, statements, talking points, messaging, op-eds, video scripts, and other media materials;
- Be a member of MoveOn’s communications team, contributing to cross-team projects in a variety of ways;
- Occasionally facilitate and take notes at meetings;
- Have the opportunity to engage in MoveOn’s work in other exciting ways, including drafting content for social media, producing blog posts and other editorial content, and supporting key campaigns.
Desired skills and experience:
- Regular eastern time zone morning availability is desired, but hours are negotiable and flexible;
- Experience in journalism, media relations, or similar public-facing content production;
- Experience with and interest in activism, advocacy, organizing, or politics;
- Strong writing skills, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and knowledge of AP style.
Reporting to: Media Relations Director
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the Continental United States
Duration: Hiring immediately; interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. This is a three-month internship with the possibility to extend to six months.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Part-time (up to 15 hours per week), $25 per hour, and reimbursement of cell phone, internet, and office expenses.
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume, cover letter, and a writing sample. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis through June 1. Interviews are also taking place on a rolling basis – so if you’re interested, apply now!
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.