MoveOn Senior Fellows
Full-Time and Part-Time • 3-6 Month Term with possibility of extension • Starts January 2017 • Competitive Compensation • Excellent Benefits • Work from anywhere in the continental United States
Senior Fellows Shape and Execute Critical Work in a Critical Time
Our country is facing a unique threat from Trump, his bigoted, destructive, and corrupt politics, and the Republicans who control Congress. We’ll need to oppose and resist Trump’s agenda in Washington, defend and support communities facing attacks both from his vicious policies and from an increase in hate crimes and harassment, and lay the groundwork for electoral victories.
In this moment of grave political challenge — and opportunity — MoveOn is launching a Senior Fellows program to help scale up and enhance the impact of our work. We are looking for exceptional progressive leaders — including political strategists and communications experts, deeply experienced and networked organizers, and technology innovators. Senior Fellows will have access to MoveOn’s resources, reach, and an all-star team of colleagues to make transformative impacts through MoveOn’s campaigns and organizing efforts.
Senior Fellows will be closely integrated with the work of MoveOn.org’s Campaign and Communication teams and are highly relational — as MoveOn team members and as representatives of MoveOn to the world. Senior Fellows will relate closely to relevant MoveOn campaigners and other staff, and will communicate regularly with MoveOn’s Executive Directors. Depending on their specific skill set and orientation, Senior Fellows may report to MoveOn’s Director of Communications, Lead Campaigns Director, Organizing Director, Chief Technology Officer, or another staff member.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop political, campaign, technological, and/or programming strategies in service of MoveOn’s millions of members and that enhance and improve MoveOn’s campaign impact — against Trump and the GOP’s agenda, and for the American people.
- For technologists in particular, your role would likely include helping to directly develop software in service of MoveOn’s millions of members, and to use technology in service of other goals.
- Utilize existing relationships and develop new relationships as needed to inform, coordinate, and execute MoveOn strategies and campaigns.
- Opportunity to participate in MoveOn team regular calls, email and slack discussions, team meetings, and in-person retreats.
- Potentially depending on experience and role: speak on behalf of MoveOn in public settings.
- Use knowledge, experience and specific skills to sharpen and enhance MoveOn’s campaigns.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial leadership experience garnered by routinely developing winning campaigns, communications, organizing, technology or strategies for legislative, elections, social justice, policy, or other non profit advocacy. (For technologists in particular, developed successful software for the above.) Examples of this leadership include, but are not limited to: impactful frontline community or national organizing, significant Capitol Hill experience, and/or senior management service in government, non-profit, or socially progressive companies, corporations or foundations.
- Well respected throughout the progressive, social justice, Democratic Party, activist, or social advocacy movements. Maintains a healthy network of relationships to strategize, coordinate, and implement campaigns.
- Highly skilled at interpersonal relations — worked well with previous colleagues and demonstrated an ability to provide and accept constructive feedback in meaningful, productive ways.
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the Continental United States.
Duration: 3 to 6 months, with the possibility of extension up to 1 year.
Deadline and Application: Submit your cover letter, resume, and application here. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a goal of starting full-time by January 2017.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Full-time, competitive salary including benefits such as 100%-employer-paid premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance for all staff and their children; employer-paid premiums for life insurance for all staff; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year; 12 weeks of paid maternity or paternity leave, 10 days accrued paid sick time; and reimbursement of office expenses.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.