Campaign Intern – Countering Islamophobia
Part-Time • Starts ASAP • Competitive Pay • 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Time and again, MoveOn has changed the face of politics in America by harnessing the power of the Internet and our millions of members. We’ve taken on hugely ambitious state, local, and national issue campaigns—and we’ve won. We’ve proven that progressive candidates can fund and power their campaigns primarily through grassroots online efforts. And we’ve powered innovative new ways to organize around issues from health care to clean energy, from gun violence to net neutrality.
As a MoveOn intern, you’ll never get anyone coffee. Your work will be substantive. We are a small and nimble team so everyone’s work is vital; the work that you do will be an important part of how we elevate MoveOn members’ voices, organize on our core campaigns, and influence the national political narrative.
If you’re a top-notch organizer, tech guru, or talented progressive looking to create the next big thing in political change, then working at MoveOn is for you!
This Campaign Intern position reports to a Campaign Director and is primarily responsible for supporting various tactics around countering Islamophobia and anti-Muslim policies.
The Campaign Intern is responsible for for a range of tasks and projects that may include:
- Curate compelling content, including from allies’ pages, on countering Islamophobia and anti-Muslim policies that we could elevate via MoveOn’s social media networks;
- Otherwise assist with social media campaigns;
- Brainstorm campaign tactics during a rapid response moment;
- Help set up key meetings amongst allies and partners;
- Assist with supporting project-based tasks such as researching vendors for any creative online or offline tactics, communicating with key allies and partners, and helping with day-to-day tasks;
- Occasionally facilitate and take notes at meetings;
- Have the opportunity to engage in MoveOn’s work in other exciting ways.
Talents and Skills
To set our Campaign Intern up for success, we’ve identified 3 critical sets of talents and skills for this role – roughly grouped as a, b, and c. Strong candidates will be skilled in all three areas. However, we also encourage candidates to apply who don’t have deep expertise in all three areas, but have exceptional skills in one or two areas, and the hunger and aptitude to learn the other areas quickly.
- Experience with and interest in activism, advocacy, organizing, or politics;
- Experience or interest in digital campaigning;
- Experience in organizing with/within Muslim communities;
- Engaged and passionate about addressing Islamophobia.
- Experience with and interest in social media and graphic creation;
- Ambitious, clarity of purpose, and spirit of learning;
- Takes initiative and sees projects through to completion
- Experience with cultural campaigning online and via mobile.
- Keen attention to detail;
- Keen or developing analysis on Islamophobia and ability to strategize on tactics;
- Strong writing skills, including precise grammar, punctuation, and spelling;
- Ability to work well within a fast-paced, high-performing team under pressure.
MoveOn is an agile organization, ever changing to meet the needs of our members and to help drive the progressive movement forward. You might be a good fit for our team if you:
- Like teamwork, but can work independently day-to-day
- Can plan and manage complex projects under relentless deadlines
- Is low-ego and high-output (like the rest of our team)
- Can change directions quickly and frequently: “build it, test it, iterate quickly”
- Likes working hard with a hard-working team
- Thrives in a virtual office: communicates well on conference calls, IM, and email
Campaign Intern Specifics
Title: Campaign Intern (Countering Islamophobia Focus)
Location: Preference given to those based in NYC; Anywhere in the continental U.S.—MoveOn operates on a virtual office model, collaborating online.
Classification, Salary, and Benefits: Part-time (up to 20 hours per week), $25 per hour, and reimbursement of cell phone, internet, and office expenses. 3 months (with possibility of extension).
To Apply: Click here to submit your application, resume and a cover letter that explains why you are a good fit for the Campaign Intern position.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.