2018 Progressive Narrative Project
Over the first half of 2018, MoveOn, SEIU, the Sierra Club, NARAL Pro-Choice America, Center for Popular Democracy Action, and the Working Families Party undertook a project to develop and test electoral narratives that could serve to help lay the groundwork for a wave election in November. We found three narratives–”communities under attack,” “rigged,” and “freedom-protect”–to be the most powerful at motivating our base to mobilize and turn out in this election.
Our findings follow:
- Topline memo and recommendations
- Focus groups and poll results presentation
- Video test presentation
- Canvass test presentation
- Candidate briefing guide
- Examples of how to use these frames in different issue areas
- Field use guide
Other recommended resources:
- The Meme Factory independently conducted social media testing on the top narratives we surfaced. You can find their results here.
- Demos and other organizations have been conducting important research over the past year on how to talk about race and class in a combined narrative. You can access their findings here.