As MoveOn members sit down for dinner today with friends and family, many of us—particularly here in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut—are thinking about those still hurting in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. There’s still a long way to go in the recovery, but today I’m giving thanks for the thousands of MoveOn members—including you—who stepped up to help those in need.
Earlier this month, MoveOn members raised over half a million dollars for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.That money has helped local on-the-ground organizations in the worst-hit areas to:
- Provide Thanksgiving meals to more than 20,000 people
- Pass out 100,000 body warmers for those still without heat as the cold rolled in
- Establish portable sanitation systems for areas with no sewer service
- Create warming stations in neighborhoods without power
- Establish charging stations for cell phones so that folks could keep in touch with loved ones and work
- Distribute food, water, blankets, clothing and other basic supplies to those made homeless by the storm
That’s just a partial list. But in short, MoveOn members’ generosity helped provided vital assistance to those critically in need. In addition, MoveOn members partnered with a local group to go door-to-door in one devastated area, many volunteered in their own communities, and thousands signed a petition asking Mayor Bloomberg to make sure the recovery efforts don’t leave out the most vulnerable communities.
There’s still much work to do. But the generosity and dedication of MoveOn members has made a real difference in the lives of many hit by Hurricane Sandy, and I am thankful to be a part of this community and this movement.
Thank you, truly, for all you do.
- Daniel, Laura, Angela, Carrie, and the rest of the team